Sunday, January 5, 2014

C39...


I chose the easiest part to remove to get started... C39. First, I documented the original component.


Easiest part to remove...

I also made a little drawing.


Is it art?

There are several ways to do this. Since the connecting wires are of sufficient length, I simply cut them close to the terminals of the capacitor. I did use soldering equipment on one wire. This gave me a sense of the proper temperature setting for those cases where I do not want to clip a lead. The solder used in this beast flows very nicely. Another important consideration is whether the device uses silver solder - which has a higher melting point. You do not want to use lead-based solder in that case. Some of the old Tektronix scopes used a silver formulation, and even included a small length of the stuff mounted inside the chassis.


Choose the proper tip

Since the tabs of the capacitors are flat metal, a chisel-tip was selected - the third one from the left. This will transfer the heat in an efficient manner, promoting complete flow of molten metal in the desired area.





Until the restoration is complete, I mark the component and save it. Sometimes replacements have different dimensional characteristics, so it is handy to have an old one if you don't yet have the replacement. There is one more cap like this one - two sections of 1500uf @ 15 volts. I haven't purchased these yet, so off to a supplier website...